Thursday 10 May 2012

Worries...

As the end draws near... nagging doubt... Have I been ambitious enough? Originally I conceived to have a performance everyday of the exhibition but I decided that it wasn't important to repeat these things through out. I decided that it should either be one performance that would some how last for the length of the show, or it should be a show case of the work I've produced throughout the MFA. Given that the degree show is traditionally the later I felt that this option was appropriate, and that six works was enough.
I have scaled things down though... the Bin Work from last year is repeated as Bucket Work and even though its just about as difficult it seems less spectacular... if that is a word that can even be used in this context...
The Balancing Work is repeated but instead of a number of groups of participants this incarnation is a Solo. Smaller. 
These decisions are in part an attempt to have that 'just enough-ness' that I always want, they are also to do with being able to hand over control. Oscar will perform the Balancing Work Solo in my absence. Three of the six performances will happen with me absent... They are also decisions based on my wanting/needing to rely on my peers to carry out the works. While I trust the people who have agreed to participate, I was aware of there own investments in and around the degree show and therefore, with the chair works for example, opted for the simplest variants.
I am happy with each of the works and wouldn't be showing them if I wasn't. Like I say, it's a nagging doubt. Should I be taking more risks at the end? Do I need to? Handing in work that doesn't exist yet is pretty risky... as is trusting other people to make it happen... This is only the end of the MFA so I guess I'll find out after I've finished. 20:20 hindsight and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment