Wednesday 9 May 2012

Lacking context?...

Looking back over the blog I'm aware that there are a lack of posts regarding shows I've seen recently, etc. I started to wonder whether this is a problem for assessment, (everything is about that this week I'm afraid). 
I think it is in part due to the fact that I've been quite busy recently; I did get over to GI but I spent the whole time stood inside a cardboard box. But it's also in part down to the fact that I was told that I look at too much art... sounds like a excuse shrouded in a dig but it's not meant to be either. I haven't been to a lot of shows recently. The Boetti and Walther shows I saw in London were probably the last exhibitions that I deliberately went out of my way to see. As I blogged at the time, they were both great. 
Having said that, I have been aware of a few things... I think enough time has passed that I can say I was utterly sick of Jeremy Deller's bouncy stonehenge after about 24hrs. It seemed like a nice thing to take your kids to jump on but was it really anything more than a big olympic friendly gimmick? The only redeeming story I heard was one of VIPs at the opening event trying to drink and smooze whilst trying to maintain steady footing, but that's not enough...
I've also been working on the Tony Swain show at The Fruitmarket Gallery. While I'm not entirely sold on Swain's paintings, I don't dislike them, they are what they are they just don't really light any fires for me, what I really like is how the show is hung. The work is unframed, hung with blu-tack and allowed a lot of space. The hang is brave for the Fruitmarket and really does it's best for the work, which on the days when I don't not like it, I quite like... 
I realise that these two things aren't going to make it look like I've been pouring over exhibitions in the final weeks of my MFA but then I haven't been. I hope that's ok

No comments:

Post a Comment