Thursday 27 October 2011

What a way to start the day...

Listening to Christiane Meyer-Stoll and Rolf Ricke talk about the life and work of Bill Bollinger at the Fruitmarket gallery ahead of tonight's exhibition opening. This is the first show in a long time, (anywhere, not just at the Fruitmarket), that has genuinely given me butterflies. That seems like such a rare experience these days, maybe because I'm getting older... Of course I instantly question whether its the work or whether its the work + Rolf Ricke's anecdotes. That is, am I fetishizing the work and the period of art history... probably, but it still seems really exciting and  the work is really very good. I feel an certain affinity with Bollinger's ways of operating, (which aren't out of sync with the rest of his peers, Smithson, Tuttle, etc.) It all makes sense. I love that the work is clearly two fingers up to minimalist artists, eg, Judd, who were making work before Bollinger and whom he clearly disagreed with, but that this doesn't stop the work from existing in its own right, with it's own merits, for it's own reasons. I'm interested to see how my perception of this work will change over the course of the exhibition but I suspect that I'll have more to think about with this show than the last... I really want to take Christiane and Rolf to the pub so I can listen to more stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment