Tuesday 8 February 2011

Why does...

...Documentation have to take the form of photographs and videos? This is what I spent my afternoon discussing with John (Beagles)...


The work I'm making relies on documentation in order to be presented to a wider set of people than those present at the time of execution... but why should that documentation then conform to expected formats? If the documentation represents everything that was in the live work then does the live work need to be seen ever?... and in any case how well does documentation ever represent work? With this in mind why not construct documents that present work with out being purely secondary things... I have in mind a series of posters, a la Harry Houdini's famous posters, which will present all necessary information about the live works but will also exist as things in their own right. I have already begun conversations with people who have a better sensibility about these things... after all I don't really want to reconstruct Houdini posters exactly and asking other people to document my work has been working for me thus far... collaboration a go go...

















Also writing... writing about work as documentation... I'm working on that...


Today Stuart and I talked about work for about an hour whilst trying to balance on those small wooden blocks... hope fully he will recount something about that...





Yesterday the crate from RCA arrived in the sculpture court... so I climbed on to it and ate my lunch. (there are better pictures to come.)



1 comment:

  1. All sounds/looks good - you are brave to get up on that crate. I can imagine the posters...

    ReplyDelete