Friday 30 March 2012

Last week: a review...

So, Monday, last official tutorial of the MFA. On the whole, very supportive and encouraging. Positive about all my suggested degree show ideas. We had a chat about the prints I intend to include, how to edition them, whether to frame them etc. Andrew was of the opinion that I should frame them and i subsequently have looked into this but at a cost of £1600 I don't think that it's a realistic option. If I thought that framing would improve the work then I would be looking into raising that cash some how but as it is I think that, conceptually, they are better off unframed. I have, however, discussed a number of conservationally sound methods of hanging the drawings so that the method of hanging is invisible. I was pondering a rather technically method using Japanese conservators tape when a good friend who techs for Stephen Friedman Gallery suggested acid free Stiki Dots... I'll be trying these methods out as soon as I get chance...


The Jerry's thought for the day of my last tutorial was that I should be aware of my ability to over contextualise myself out of making work... Basically lighten up...


As well as the prints, my degree show plan now involves a series of daily works, 11 in total, one a day from Sat 2nd until Mon 11th. This is made more challenging by the fact that I won't be in the country between Tue 5th and Sat 9th... prior obligations... This is an opportunity for experiment rather than a cause for panic...


Wednesday was a day of making photoshop drawings, I'm happy with how these are coming along. The thought of a show filled with self portrait prints still amuses me no end and I enjoy how this body of drawings is the result of performative experimenting in what feels like a reversal of expectation, to a certain extent. This said I think the drawings are good things, they aren't just a joke for my own amusement.


Thursday's trip to Glasgow proved very fruitful. Nadia and i met and within 30 minutes had thrashed out a plan for the GI show, much more than we had achieved in weeks of emails. The bulk of the work still lies ahead but that's not so daunting now we have a plan...


It was also good to go and see Kinning Park studios and community centre, they appear to be doing good things.


That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment