Sunday 25 September 2011

First Seminar... a quick note.

First seminar of the second year was straight forward I thought. A rough overview of, (at least one definition of), visual cultures with more detailed discussions to follow. Next Seminar we will each, (in small groups of 3 or 4), make 15 presentations on set texts. My text is Notes on Camp by Susan Sontag. There was no real discussion about what the presentation should be exactly but I guess we should be able to figure that out by now. I've had a read through the text and figure we should start by explaining what we gather Sontag is doing, (defining camp), and then have a stab at explaining how we think she's doing it, (in this case mainly giving lists of examples of things that are camp followed by things that you might think are camp but actually aren't). Finally we should point out any problems we have with the text and open this up for discussion with the rest of the group... (camp is purely aesthetic, apolitical and acritical, apparently). I have yet to arrange a meeting with the other three members of my reading group to find out what they think...

No comments:

Post a Comment