Saturday 24 September 2011

Ask your family... (unused)


Neil's first project of the year: Ask your family to describe what you do and present it in C02 so everyone else can read it... I asked my Mum, Dad and Sister to do this as well as Susie. On further description of this task, Neil then pointed out that only one persons description was necessary and that the point in a way is that people would get an idea of what you do but not in your words... I appreciated the efforts of family greatly but if this is a task designed to present a description of your work to people who don't know it surely you choose the person who writes about art for a living, so I did. As I have said though, I do greatly appreciate the efforts of my family and so I thought I'd publish their writings here for all to see. It is always an interesting exercise listening to somebody else describe what they think you do and what they think is important...


Andrew is an individual of his art and is not afraid of pushing boundaries. He is always challenging himself to explore his imagination and let his mind take him on an adventure.
What I find especially interesting and exciting is there is no specific genre. He is willing and confident in his thoughts, ideas and ability to put these into practice either alone or by enlisting help, e.g. standing on posts, magic tricks. He does though thrive on interaction and is not fazed by criticism, usually finding an answer to it and taking a positive out of it. (Mum).

I think Andrew creates and develops art that challenges people’s perception of what art is. He explores the concept of visual and performance art and at the minute, for me, borders on creating theatrical performances. His work presents a skill, however simple (standing on an object for a period of time), for an audience to observe. His work is site-specific and always unique – the performance work has the potential to succeed or fail and therefore has a risk factor. His work is not replicable for this reason – if the work was recreated it would always be different, as the elements of the performance can never be exactly the same.  
I think his work is imaginative, visually interesting and expresses an alternative way of thinking about how everyday objects, settings and actions can be placed together to create art. (Sister).

Ever since Andrew branched out to the modern side of art I've never understood what he is creating as his artwork, but I know that it is his work. He has always put his thoughts & beliefs into his practice. (Dad).

No comments:

Post a Comment