Thursday 23 September 2010

Like a finger pointing to the moon...

I may be blogging too much, I don't know, but I want to get a sense of what I'm going to use this for. Also,  I want to try and establish a position at this point... before I've had a tutorial or any thing like that. As I sit in my studio it is becoming rather apparent that I really don't know what I do... or what I want to do. I am not a painter or a sculptor. I like the idea of not having a discipline... "favor formlessness to assume all forms." to paraphrase Bruce Lee. Looking back at the things I have made over the last half decade or more there are definitely threads that pull together. While it feels like I have been jumping around from one starting point to another I believe that the motivations for these things are all, if not the same thing, at least related to the same thing... Appropriation, function, purpose, use, uselessness, emptiness (among other things,) are all areas of interest and I believe that all these things relate to an idea of lightness. I did write in my application statement that I wanted to explore this idea of lightness within my practice, and I do, but I'm not sure how one would do that without making it un-light... I want to think about lightness and why it's a good thing in relation to my ideas and ideologies but I'm not sure it will be useful to sit down and try and to make light work, that seems contradictory in some way...

(It may be apparent now that I don't write that well, so apologies if this is nonsense, I hope to get better.)

More doing is probably the best way forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment