Sunday 12 June 2011

Thoughts about posters...

The point of the poster documents is that they are not an end product of the work but a separate strand. They are not attempts at accurate representation of the performance works but merely pointers to or reminders of them. Discussion about the performances that the posters may bring about are just as valid as documents as the posters themselves, and perhaps more interesting.


The posters are a deliberate attempt to side step traditional documentary methods, e.g. photographs and videos, which may allude to represent work in a more direct or honest way but do not. Whilst at the same time an acknowledgment of the need to represent temporal work in real life, i.e. in exhibitions, journals and, (most relevantly,) assessments.


While I have used videos of performances on my website and in my recent end of semester assessment, I have no intention of exhibiting work as video or photograph. I believe that the posters can be sufficiently not the work to stand as a pointer to the work. The posters are akin to gig merchandise in a lot of respects.


One concern is whether the posters are sufficiently not the work enough... If the posters are like 'merch' should they contain other information. i.e. website address, more explicate information about the works location etc? can I incorporate at text into all the posters that explains their nature, (their not workness,) more clearly but without being didactic? Is less more in this case? does less variety make the message clearer?


While I need to resolve these issues I feel I need to do it quickly, after all this is not the work... and I am much more interested in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment