Tuesday 19 October 2010

Piece is short for Masterpiece.

I've been thinking a lot about the difference between something you're investigating in the studio and something you'd exhibit.. 


I used the term a 'piece of work' in conversation with Neil last night, which he immediately expressed a dislike for. "Piece is short for masterpiece, and we don't make those any more."


I agree... but then what do we do? There are differences between the things we choose to show and the things that we don't. I don't subscribe to an idea that all the parts of practice and exhibition are equal. Artists are editors, we make decisions... granted all parts are important but if they were equal then nothing would matter, would it? Should I have just used the term art work? would that have been different?


Starting and stopping seem to me to be key problems. 


An art practice is an ongoing thing that certainly doesn't result in a master work. To use a model from yesterdays lecture, it is part of a feedback loop... but then a feedback loop still has an input and an output... what is that output?


this is toss, I'm going no where... 

No comments:

Post a Comment